Distinctive Style & Design

I design and make rosaries and jewelry. Check here for new designs and ideas, sometimes before they make it to my web site. For more of my products see my web site: www.RosariesAndJewelryByLaura.com

Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have been making rosaries for about 29 years, and jewelry for almost as long. I enjoy the whole process from beginning to end, and can usually be found to have a pair of pliers, wire and maybe some kind of beads in my hands, except possibly when I'm sleeping.

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

New Year, already!

My roommate went to El Paso to spend Christmas with her mom, daughter, and grandkids. Before she left, I gave her a bag with presents in it for everyone, except we forgot that her niece would also be there. Fortunately, her niece has the same name as she does so when the package for "Tere" came out of the bag, her niece thought it was for her. She was very flattered to get a very "grown-up" necklace and earring set.
When I called them to wish them "Feliz Navidad" Tere told me what happened, so that meant that she was without a present from me for Christmas. So, since I had made both of her daughters a bracelet like the one above, but with heart charms on it, I decided I'd make her one to match. Naturally, I didn't have any of the heart charms left, so I decided to include some of my heritage on it with the Claddagh. It's the Irish symbol of love, loyalty and friendship. The bracelet is made from 16 gauge wire, which I handcrafted into a double chain. The center piece has double hearts on it on both sides. The chain is argentium sterling silver, and all the components are regular sterling silver. It feels both heavy and silky. Teresa is coming home tomorrow, so maybe this will be a "Prospero Ano nuevo" present instead of a Christmas one.

Now that Christmas is past, it's time for me to start getting the rosaries made for my parish. First up is the 100 for the Confirmation kids, after that is the 50 for the RCIA class, and finally are the 200 for the kids who are making their First Communion this year. Since Easter comes very early this year, I need to get them all done as soon as possible. I've been working on them since last summer, but somehow, other things get in the way and it always seems like I have more time than I actually do! Now, there's no excuse for not getting on the ball and getting them all made. My Catechism class doesn't get back in session until February, so I'm going to be concentrating on making rosaries for the rest of this month.

Along with the above ones, I also need to get rosaries made for silent auction benefits this spring. There is one for the Biblical School, one for our Parish school, one for Colfax Community Network, and one for Alley Cat Alliance. I also need to get some bracelets and earrings made for ARAS, a no kill shelter for cats that helps me out when I need it with mine. I try to get them jewelry to sell to make money for operating expenses. I've got some made to take down this week, but I've also got more beads ordered for all of the above so when they get here I can get started on everything else.

This is the first New Year's I've spent alone since my husband died. While I miss him and thought of him often, it was really a nice one. I spent a quiet day, with the cats, getting some last minute work done on my web site for an article this week, and generally just being OK with still being here while he's gone. I know having a roommate is a Godsend, and one that I thank Him for everyday, but I'm also glad she could spend the holidays with her family. It will be nice to have things "back to normal" (whatever that is) but for now, it's OK to be alone.

I hope you all have a wonderful new year, full of blessings and very few problems! To quote an old Irish saying:
"May you be in heaven, a half an hour before the devil knows you're dead!"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Aluguel de Computadores, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://aluguel-de-computadores.blogspot.com. A hug.

4/20/08, 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home