Distinctive Style & Design

I design and make rosaries and jewelry. Check here for new designs and ideas, sometimes before they make it to my web site. For more of my products see my web site: www.RosariesAndJewelryByLaura.com

Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have been making rosaries for about 29 years, and jewelry for almost as long. I enjoy the whole process from beginning to end, and can usually be found to have a pair of pliers, wire and maybe some kind of beads in my hands, except possibly when I'm sleeping.

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Blessings

This is the fourth Christmas without my husband. It's also the first that I've been by myself on Christmas without him. My roommate is in El Paso with her daughter, mom, and sister staying with them while her sister goes through surgery. Teresa will be back after the new year. I'm filling in for her at her job until then, helping care for an elderly parishioner from our Church. I had today off for Christmas because his family was with him.

We lost my husband's favorite cat last Tues to Chronic Renal Failure. He had adopted Teresa after she moved in and it was really hard for both of us to let him go. Even though I'd had him for 18 years it didn't seem that long and he absolutely adored Teresa.

I didn't know how I'd do this year alone, but I've been remarkably at peace today. I got a chance to get some extra sleep, (always a bonus around here!), work on some jewelry, and play with the cats. It snowed all day and I didn't even have to go out to clean the car off!! I watched some lovely programs on the TV about Christmas, and just basically had a day of rest. With the schedules Teresa and I have had this past 6 months, that in itself is a luxury! I went to Mass last night since I knew I'd never get up in time today. It's been lovely to just take time for the cats and me for a change and not having to rush to meet a deadline.

My husband is where he belongs, even if it's lonely here without him. My roommate is a real blessing and we get along great and complement each other well. I'm learning Spanish better, she's doing the same with English, I get to vicariously share her family, and we both get to have someone to live with and depend on. She called tonight and I got to talk with her, her daughter, her sister, and her grandchildren. It's nice having a family, even if it's a second hand one.

My business has done a little better this year than last, and I think I'm finally starting to see that it's going to work. I got some great custom orders this year that I really enjoyed working on. I'm able to learn more skills as a jewelry designer and maker and I'm also looking to broaden my work into another medium as soon as I have more than 1 day at a time to work on it.

We have a great group of people in our RCIA class again this year, and the program that Jay and I worked on over the summer seems to be going well. Since Easter is early this year, I'm also up by my eye balls in making rosaries for Confirmation, First Communion, and RCIA for the Easter Vigil. Also coming up quickly is the silent auction for the Biblical School, St. Pius X parish school fund raiser, the silent auction for Colfax Community Network, and the Alley Cat Alliance fund raiser. All of these I donate to so I need to get that stuff made too. It's all planned out, I just need to make it.

The orders for the Graduation Remembrances for the Biblical school are slowly coming in. Not too many, but at least I'll have something to contribute to the senior class gift this year. I was hoping for more, but maybe this too needs to build a little at a time throughout the years.

I am very, very blessed! I have wonderful people in my life, I have a wonderful parish that has become my family, I have a great roommate who generously lets me share her family, and I have great kids, even if they all do have 4 legs each and talk in meow.

God has been very, very good to me. I hope you have been equally blessed, and that your Christmas was full of joy as mine was. It's hard to believe that it's almost 2008, isn't it?!?

Merry Christmas!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home