Distinctive Style & Design

I design and make rosaries and jewelry. Check here for new designs and ideas, sometimes before they make it to my web site. For more of my products see my web site: www.RosariesAndJewelryByLaura.com

Name:
Location: Aurora, Colorado, United States

I have been making rosaries for about 29 years, and jewelry for almost as long. I enjoy the whole process from beginning to end, and can usually be found to have a pair of pliers, wire and maybe some kind of beads in my hands, except possibly when I'm sleeping.

Saturday, January 20, 2007

One Final Down, One to Go!!!


Well, I took the second to last final in my class at the Catholic Biblical School, and now only one more before graduation! I'm in my fourth and final year, and I can't believe how fast it's gone! The year I started, my husband was still alive, and before the year was over he was gone. My life has changed so much since them, it almost seems like another lifetime. I think he would have been proud of me that I've continued with the school and will graduate this spring.
I went to the school on a scholarship because I couldn't afford to pay the tuition. The school is very generous that way for those who want to go and learn about the Bible, but can't afford it on their own. There is a fund for that and I'm very grateful to them for that, and very thankful that I can give something back. They have a banquet every year to honor someone, and raise money. At the banquet, they have a silent auction of donated items. Every year I've donated a rosary for the group I was in, and this being our senior year, we decided to go all out. I'm donating this rosary, of high quality faceted amethyst roundels and wire wrapped in sterling silver. The crucifix is a sterling silver Papal crucifix, and the center is sterling silver Our Lady of Guadalupe. Since the school is starting an offshoot school in Juarez, Mexico, known as the Jerome Mission, and we wanted to honor that in some way. Hence the center of Our Lady of Guadalupe. The others in my group graciously donated some money to help with supplies so I could get very high quality amethyst and use sterling silver. I wire wrapped each bead individually so this will the rosary would be able to be passed down through the family of whoever wins it, as an heirloom if they wish.

On another subject, I'm looking forward to using the new jewelry tools I've been able to get and hone my skills as an artist and designer. I've got some many ideas and designs running around in my head and not enough time to do them! However, I'd much rather have it this way than to not have any designs begging to be made! I've bartered some jewelry for some banners and buttons and a logo so I can advertise my business a little more. I'm looking forward to having them and I'm working on the special order for Tabatha, the lady that's doing them for me. As soon as one more component gets here in the mail, I can get them off to her.

Well, off to finish up a couple of more orders and make some more rosaries. I might even play hooky and work on a couple of those designs that seem to want out of my head and into silver!

Here's hoping the snow we are supposed to get this weekend will just be a couple of inches like they say it's supposed to be! I think we could all use a break from the frigid weather and snow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home